Warning: This DIY is a Step by Step demonstration on how to make a short throw shifter. I am not you and therefore not responsible for any damages to you or your car.
Difficulty: 1 outta 10
Time: 15 minutes
What is it:
It shortens the forward and back throw of the manual shifter.
What good is it for our cars:
It just makes the car that much more fun to drive.
(1) 1/2″ Split Ring Hanger
(1) 3/8-16 x 1″ hex bolt
(1) 10-24 x 1-1/2″ screw
(1) rubber bushing (Optional)
washers to hold bushing on
Screwdriver that fits your new screw you bought
1. unscrew the shift knob
2. Remove the cupholder
3. remove the top part of the center console area
4. now look down at the 2 shifter cables. you want the one on the right side (the one on the shaft)
5. unscrew the nut off the bolt. slide off the cable
6. now onto the actual short shifter. open the hanger package up
7. line up the hanger as you would install it on the shifter, like so
8. take off the top screw on the hanger. you will use the new screws you bought instead. put new screw on temporary
9. take out one 3/8″ bolt out of the package and screw it into the open hole partways
10. slide the almost formed short shifter onto the shifter. slide it all the way down
11. place onto the new screw your washers and then the shifter cable bushings
12. tighten up the front screw partway, then the rear
13. tighten up fully. you don’t want the short shifter or cable to fall off.
14. tighten up the big bolt onto the shifter. make sure its on really tight so you dont have it sliding on you. DO NOT TIGHTEN TOO TIGHT OR IT WILL BREAK!
15. Test out the shifter to see if there is any resistance on the cables.
16. reinstall everything and go for a test drive
here are some vertical shots of neutral, third gear and fourth gear
My new total throwing distance is about 3 3/8″